11 Apr How to prevent Mould and Mildew
How do you prevent Mould and Mildew
Often at Xchange Air, we are asked – How do you prevent Mould and Mildew?
Mould and Mildew definition – Mould and mildew are types of fungi; typically, mould is black or green, and mildew is grey or white. Mould and mildew will be an issue on moist surfaces, like bathroom walls, basement walls, or fabrics. Mould grows in the form of multicellular filaments or hyphae, while mildew has flat growth.
While different, mould and mildew are related and have similar characteristics. A moist warm area is an ideal place for these fungi to arrive and build a home. Mould and mildew are not fussy about surface types and will grow in a bathroom, wall, ceiling, and furniture or even on a piece of paper.
The biggest difference is that mildew tends to stay on the surface and is relatively easy to clean. Unfortunately, though, mould tends to dig in deep and set up a happy home. Mould will grow roots and while you may clean the surface its roots will just regrow again and again.
The key – You must treat the CAUSE as soon as possible and not just the mould.
Mould left untreated can cause
• Health issues
• Respiratory issues
• Lung issues
• Eye irritations
• Chronic fatigue
If you already have Mould
• Get an obligation free consultation from Xchange Air, we can provide you with a solution for your current mould and for preventing it in the future.
• Think about the air flow in your home
• Where do you dry your clothes
• Do you have a lot of clutter
• Is there a water leak
• Is your home well maintained
• Does anyone living in your home suffer from health issues
• Get an obligation free consultation from Xchange Air to ensure that mould does not become an issue for you in the future. Just because you may not have mould now doesn’t mean it won’t be an issue in the future if you home is not well ventilated.
• Ventilation is key (under floor and in roof)
• Rectify rising damp
• Healthy air coming into the home and unhealthy air exiting the home – air circulation
• Keeping your home dry all year round
• Timber will absorb and hold onto large amounts of water, it is difficult to dry out so prevention is vital
• You must reduce the moisture levels in your home
At Xchange Air, we sell and install wide a range of products that can both prevent and treat mould.
We provide you with an obligation free home assessment to discover the causes and provide the solutions for your home and your family.
Remember – ensure that you don’t just treat the mould or mildew; you MUST treat the cause of the mould.